Ravi Menon (Director)
Facility Director, CFMM
Profile & Research Interests
Ravi Menon (CRC) has directed the CFMM since its inception in 1994. He has 22 years of hands-on MRI, MRS and fMRI pulse-sequence and RF hardware contributions in humans at high and ultra-high magnetic fields (≥4T) and 22 years of similar experience with large animals at 4.7T, 7T and 9.4T. Along with his former Minnesota colleagues (Garwood and Ugurbil), he likely has the longest continuous high/ultra-high field track record of anyone in the world . He has the leadership experience to manage the team and extensive collaborations, with ~100 of his 140 papers published with other team members on this proposal.
- Ph.D. Medicine, University of Alberta
- M.Sc.(A) Medical Physics, McGill University
- B.Sc. Physics (Hons), University of British Columbia
- Gilbert, K.M., Gati, J.S., Barker, K., Everling, S. and Menon, R.S. Optimized parallel transmit and receive radiofrequency coil for ultrahigh-field MRI of monkeys. NeuroImage (in press).
- Manning K.Y., Menon R.S., Mesterman R., Gorter J.W., Switzer L., Campbell C., Fehlings D. Neuroplastic sensorimotor resting state network reorganization in children with hemiplegic cerebral palsy treated with constraint-induced movement therapy. Journal of Child Neurology (in press).
- Connell I.R., Gilbert K.M., Abou-Khousa M.A., Menon R.S. MRI RF array decoupling method with magnetic wall distributed filters. IEEE Trans Med Imaging 34(4):825-35. doi: 10.1109/TMI.2014.2378695 . (April 2015).
- Liu J., Rudko D.A., Gati J.S., Menon R.S., Drangova M. Inter-echo variance as a weighting factor for multi-channel combination in multi-echo acquisition for local frequency shift mapping. Magn Reson Med. 73(4):1654-61 (April 2015).
- Hutchison R.M., Hashemi N., Gati J.S., Menon R.S., Everling S. Electrophysiological signatures of spontaneous BOLD fluctuations in macaque prefrontal cortex. 113:257-267. doi: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2015.03.062. [Epub ahead of print] (March 2015).
- Manning K.Y., Fehlings D., Mesterman R., Gorter J.W., Switzer L., Campbell C., Menon R.S. Resting State and Diffusion Neuroimaging Predictors of Clinical Improvements Following Constraint-Induced Movement Therapy in Children With Hemiplegic Cerebral Palsy. J Child Neurol. pii: 0883073815572686. [Epub ahead of print] (March 2015).
- Hutchison, R.M., Hutchison, M., Manning, K.Y., Menon, R.S., Everling, S. Isoflurane Induces Dose-Dependent Alterations in the Cortical Connectivity Profiles and Dynamic Properties of the Brain’s Functional Architecture. Human Brain Mapping. 35(12):5754-75. (December 2014).
- Connell I.R., Gilbert K.M., Abou-Khousa M.A., Menon R.S. Design of a Parallel Transmit Head Coil at 7T With Magnetic Wall Distributed Filters. IEEE Trans Med Imaging. 2015 Apr;34(4):836-45. doi: 10.1109/TMI.2014.2370533. Epub (November 2014).
- Curtis, A.T., Hutchison, R.M., Menon, R.S. Phase based venous suppression in resting-state BOLD GE-fMRI. NeuroImage. 100:51-9. (October 2014).
- Rudko D.A., Solovey I., Gati J.S., Kremenchutzky, M., Menon, R.S. Multiple Sclerosis: Improved Identification of Disease-relevant Changes in Gray and White Matter Using Susceptibility-based MR Imaging. Radiology. 272(3):851-64 (September 2014).
- Brown, T.A., Gati, J.S., Hughes, S.M., Nixon, P.L., Menon, R.S., Lomber, S.G. Functional Imaging of Auditory Cortex in Adult Cats using High-field fMRI. Vis. Exp. 19(84):e50872 (August 2014)
More Publications on Pubmed: RS Menon
- Top 20 under 40, Canadian Institute for Advanced Research, 2002
- Top 40 under 40 and Best of the Top 40 under 40, Caldwell partners/Globe and Mail, 2002
- Dean’s Award of Excellence, Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry, 2004
- Canada Research Chair (Tier 2), 2001
- Canada Research Chair (Tier 1), 2005
- Canada Research Chair (Tier 1), 2012
- Dean’s Award of Excellence – CIHR Group on Action and Perception, Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry, Team Award, Biomedical Imaging Research Centre, BIRC
- Senior Fellow of the International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, 2015
- Canada Research Chair in Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging, 2019
- Canadian Institutes of Heath Research (CIHR), Transitional Operating GrantPI: Stephen G. Lomber (R. Menon)Functional Organization of Auditory Cortex following cochlear implant07/2015 – 06/2020
- Alzheimer Foundation London and Middlesex, Premier Research GrantPI: Robert Bartha (Ravi S. Menon, Michael Borrie)Metabolic and Functional Brain State: New Indicators of Alzheimer’s Disease02/2015 – 01/2017
- Canadian Institutes of Heath Research (CIHR), Operating GrantPI: Ravi S. Menon (M. Kremenchutzky, D. Lee)Beyond the McDonald Criteria. Can MRI diagnose Multiple Sclerosis at the onset of initial symptoms?10/2014 – 03/2020
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Operating GrantPI: Ravi S. Menon (M. Kremenchutzky, D. Lee)Ultra high field MRI measurements of tissue magnetic susceptibility in Multiple Sclerosis.04/2011-03/2016
- Canada Foundation for Innovation – Leading Edge FundPI: Ravi S. MenonCentre for Functional and Metabolic Mapping06/2013-05/2018 total $2,494,098
Ontario Research FundPI: Ravi S. MenonCentre for Functional and Metabolic Mapping06/2013-05/2018
- Canada Foundation for Innovation – New Initiatives FundPI: Blaine Chronik (R. Menon)Centre for the development and testing of MR-compatible medical devices and technology06/2013-05/2018 total $705,911
Ontario Research FundPI: Blaine Chronik (R. Menon)Centre for the development and testing of MR-compatible medical devices and technology06/2013-05/2018
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Operating GrantMagnetic Resonance Imaging of Multiple SclerosisPI: Douglas Arnold (R. Menon, D.Collins, M. Kremenchutsky, S. Narayanan, G. Pike)04/2013 – 03/2018
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Operating GrantPI: Peter Williamson (E. Osuch, D. Drost, R. Menon, J. Theberge, R.W.J. Neufeld, R. Rajakumar and W. Pavlosky)Candidate neuronal circuits in schizophrenia.10/2012-09/2017
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada, Discovery GrantPI: Ravi S. MenonRadio Frequency Coil Design for Ultra High Field MRI. 04/2012-03/2017
- Canadian Institutes of Heath Research (CIHR), Operating Grant PI: Stephen G. Lomber (R. Menon) Functional Organization of Auditory Cortex following cochlear implant 04/2010 – 09/2015