Ph.D. Student, Medical Biophysics, Western University
Profile & Research Interests
A Ph.D. student in Medical Biophysics with Dr Menon, Andrew is working on implementing B1 mapping and RF shimming techniques, leveraging the multitransmit capabilities of the 7T MRI system.
We are very fortunate to have access to the only 7T human MRI system in Canada here at Western. The high magnetic field of this MRI offers the promise of improved resolution and contrast for functional imaging (fMRI). This promise is somewhat tempered by engineering challenges stemming from the shorter associated wavelength, leading to many image artifacts.
My research focuses on technical development to improve and optimize Magnetic Resonance Imaging at 7T. This includes measurement and shimming of the radio-frequency transmit field, sequence development and optimization, as well as development of reconstruction and post-processing tools for MRI data.
- B.Sc. (Hon) Physics, McMaster University
- Slice-by-slice B1+ shimming at 7 T. Curtis AT, Gilbert KM, Klassen LM, Gati JS, Menon RS. Magn Reson Med. 2012 Oct;68(4):1109-16.
- A conformal transceive array for 7 T neuroimaging. Gilbert KM, Belliveau JG, Curtis AT, Gati JS, Klassen LM, Menon RS. Magn Reson Med. 2012 May;67(5):1487-96.
- A radiofrequency coil to facilitate B₁⁺ shimming and parallel imaging acceleration in three dimensions at 7 T. Gilbert KM, Curtis AT, Gati JS, Klassen LM, Menon RS. NMR Biomed. 2011 Aug;24(7):815-23.
- Transmit/receive radiofrequency coil with individually shielded elements. Gilbert KM, Curtis AT, Gati JS, Klassen LM, Villemaire LE, Menon RS. Magn Reson Med. 2010 Dec;64(6):1640-51.
- High-field MRSI of the prostate using a transmit/receive endorectal coil and gradient modulated adiabatic localization. Near J, Romagnoli C, Curtis AT, Klassen LM, Izawa J, Chin J, Bartha R. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2009 Aug;30(2):335-43.
Recent Publications on Pubmed: AT Curtis
Awards & Scholarships
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship
- Schulich Graduate Research Scholarship
- Western Graduate Research Scholarship
- 2nd Place Poster Award, 11th Imaging Network Ontario Symposium, 2013